Black Harvard Classics, Five-Foot Shelf Of Books, Academia Book Set, S/10
A 10 volume collection from The Harvard Classics in the early black color published in 1909/1910.
New York: Collier & Son, 1909/10.
The set measures 13.75" across, 7.75" tall, and is 5.5" front to back.
Some age-related wear cover, spines, and corners of 1910 antique books as can be seen in the pictures. Previous owner's bookplate in a few volumes.
9) Letters and Treatises of Cicero and Pliny
39) Famous Prefaces
40) English Poetry 1: Chaucer to Gray
41) English Poetry 2: Collins to Fitzgerald
42) English Poetry 3: Tennyson to Whitman
43) American Historical Documents
44) Sacred Writings 1
45) Sacred Writings 2
47) Elizabethan Drama 2
48) Thoughts and Minor Works: Pascal
In 1909, the President of Harvard University, Dr. Eliot made claims that one could get a quality education by reading from three-feet-shelf of classics for 15 minutes a day, later changing it to five feet. Collier & Son challenged Dr. Eliot to create such a collection, the first collection of which was published in 1909.