Black Harvard Classics Shelf of Books Decorative Collection, S/10
A 10 volume collection from The Harvard Classics in the early black and gold color published in 1909/1910.
New York: Collier & Son, 1909/10.
The set measures 13.25" across and is 7.75" tall.
Included are volumes 10-19 that are:
10) Wealth of Nations: Adam Smith
11) Origin of Species: Darwin
12) Plutarch's Lives
13) Aeneid Virgil
14) Don Quixote Part 1: Cervantes
15)Pilgrim's Progress. Donne and Herbert. Bunyan, Walton
16) The Thousand and One Nights
17) Folk-Lore and Fable. Aesop, Grimm, Andersen
18) Modern English Drama
19) Faust, Egmont Etc. Doctor Faustus, Goethe, Marlowe
In 1909, the President of Harvard University, Dr. Eliot made claims that one could get a quality education by reading from three-feet-shelf of classics for 15 minutes a day, later changing it to five feet. Collier & Son challenged Dr. Eliot to create such a collection, the first collection of which was published in 1909.
As these books are over 100 years old please expect that they show a small bit of age-related wear.