10 Antique Black Harvard Classics, Five-Foot Shelf Of Books, Decorative Book Set, S/10
A 10 volume collection from The Harvard Classics in the early black and gold color published in 1909/1910.
New York: Collier & Son, 1909/10.
The set measures 13" across and is 7.75" tall.
Included are volumes 30-39 that are:
30) Faraday, Helmholtz, Kelvin, Newcomb,
31) Autobiography: Benvenuto, Cellini
32) Literary and Philosophical Essays: Montaigne, Sainte Beuve, Renan
33) Voyages and Travels
34) Descartes, Voltaire, Rousseau, Hobbes
35) Chronicle and Romance: Froissart, Malory, Holinshed
36) Machiavelli, More, Luther
37) Locke, Berkeley, Hume
38) Harvey, Jenner, Lister, Pasteur
39) Famous Prefaces
In 1909, the President of Harvard University, Dr. Eliot made claims that one could get a quality education by reading from three-feet-shelf of classics for 15 minutes a day, later changing it to five feet. Collier & Son challenged Dr. Eliot to create such a collection, the first collection of which was published in 1909.
As these books are over 100 years old please expect that they show a small bit of age-related wear.
The photo props are not included.